Tuesday 14 February 2012

1st record selective amnseia

It occurred to me following on from this blogs recent interview with Sid Lowe and subsequent coverage on the Guardians Football Weekly podcast, that we all do it...
When asked to recall our first ever record, we lightly bend the truth, lie blatantly or suddenly develop a bout of selective amnesia about the first record we ever bought.

I´m the first to admit it, I´ve done it too....on countless occasions, especially in my teens and early twenties when keeping face and having music cred was ever so important.
Over time I´ve grown up to the fact, that I need to be forthright admit the fact that the first ever record I ever bought (in Woolworths, Strabane, Co.Tyrone should you ask) with my hard earned pocket money was, Boney Ms, "Ma Baker".

I admit there are plenty of candidates for worse 1st records depending on the decade but what makes the error of my ways so galling was the choice for my 2nd single purchase which was far more credible, and even to this day great sounding "Something Better Change" by The Stranglers.

However in my case its that first record not the second that makes its mark on our musical DNA and has to stand the test of time and becomes every bit as important in our cultural evolution as, say our first love, first kiss .....

One final thought bringing the concept up to modern day. Sadly the concept of 1st record ever bough nowadays has become a little redundant (we can discuss the merits and shortfalls of the digital impact on music another day) , how will the late teens of the future try and asses each others musical tastes and "cool" factor in 10 years.... "what's the first track you ever streamed on spotify?" .... it just doesn't have the same impact.


All together now "Ma Ma Ma Ma Baker, she taught her four sons........Ma Ma Ma Ma Baker" ......



No comments: